Saturday, July 6, 2013

Ice Cream Dreams

Ice Cream Dreams

It’s summer and I’m dreaming about ice cream.  Chocolate, vanilla, peppermint stick, butter pecan, or any flavor I can imagine.  In cones, as sundaes, in sandwiches, as shakes or straight out of the carton. It’s all I dream about.



What are these dreams telling me? To go to “Carl’s” (aka Fredericksburg’s temple of deliciousness), a corner store or should I flag down the ever present ice cream truck?  My dreams are full of memories about the tastes, smells and sensations that are uniquely ice cream. Ice cream is at the top of my list of favorite foods.  I love the cool, sweet flavors and textures. I also love the context of ice cream.  It reminds me of my childhood, birthday parties, picnics, and summer nights. Ice cream is a happy food.  I can’t eat it without smiling. But is this really what I’m craving?

I believe that dreams are the way that our mind sorts out the different things going on in our lives.  They are filled with hopes and desires that aren’t always literally spelled out.  I like to reflect on what my dreams are really about so I can make adjustments in my day to get closer to what I really want.  For the past few months my life has been full of so many things. Good things like my son, Peter’s, beautiful wedding.  And not so good things like family crisis and betrayal. So I believe that my ice cream dreams are telling me to look for more sweetness in my life and experience the feelings of joy that they bring.

So here’s a list of sweet things I am going to do this summer:
  • Put my toes in the ocean.
  • Sit on the dock at the river and watch the sailboats go by.
  • Eat blue crabs with a cold beer nearby.
  • Quietly sit with my husband, Joe and watch fireflies glow.
  • Play ball at the river with Dasher, my dog.
  • Visit my children and cook them dinner.
  • And last but not least:  Go to “Carl’s” and order a double hot fudge sundae with nuts!



Create your own dream journal that includes both your day and night dreams.  Fill it with:

  1. Lists of things you dream for and about.
  2. Doodles about your dreams- quick little sketches.
  3. Cut out pictures of things you’d like to have and create a dream collage.
  4. Schedule a dream date with someone: spouse, friend or yourself.
  5. Create your own “Sweet Dream List” - add illustrations if you’re inspired!




Go confidently in the direction of your dreams!  Live the life you’ve imagined.  As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.”
-  Henry David Thoreau

1 comment: