Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Feeling the spark

Eclipse                  12 x 18
acrylic on canvas
Artists get stuck.  Sometimes we lose focus and need a new direction to go.  It happens to all of us.  No matter how experienced or accomplished we are.  But then a spark appears.  Inspiration when we least expected.  Kind of like getting a card in the mail from a long lost friend.

I was "sparked" about a week ago.  I was experimenting with color field painting to develop lessons for my students when I was illuminated.  What I was trying to do was get my acrylic paint to flow across the canvas the same way that the wet-on-wet watercolor technique works on paper. I was looking for a way to create the same luminous effect on canvas.  And I found it.
Orbs                            12 x 18
acrylic on canvas

Night Vision                          16 x 20
acrylic on canvas
 While my work is still in the experimental stages I thought I'd share a few of the pieces I created last week.  After I master this technique I will share my step by step approach.

For today I hope to just share a little color.
Whirlpool                                        18 x 20
acrylic on canvas

3 comments: