Friday, November 14, 2014

Details, Details, Details.

 Architectural details can be frustrating at times. I get my sky just right, but when I step back I notice my lines are not right.  So I pulled out my biggest ruler and a water soluble pencil.  This type of pencil blends really well with acrylic paint so I can easily soften the lines.




Before #1
 After I redrew the lines I had to change some of the angles.  I did so by reworking the negative spaces around the railing.  I used a dark green and matte medium because I knew I was going to develop the sea grass in those areas later.


Before #2


I then lightened those negative spaces and began to add shadows to the boardwalk.  But it still didn't look right to me.






Progress as of 11/14/14
So I pulled out my ruler again and this time I drew my lines with white paint. All of these alterations required me to repaint parts of the sky and water.  Details require lots and lots of modifications and patience.

The boardwalk still isn't finished but the lines are better.  So it was time to attack the sea grass.  Using small brush strokes of  greens, golds and sand colors the dunes are beginning to take shape.

I think I'll take the weekend off.  I'll attack the rest of the details next week.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you are showing the processes in detail. Painting and writing are so similar in the working/reworking crafting stages. Patience and persistence are my weaknesses, but also can be my strengths, depending on the subject matter. You must really connect to the place/moment that this work is depicting. Love/Miss you!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete