Friday, September 13, 2013

Playing bridge

Suits          8 x 10
Acrylic on canvas
 There aren't many people who play bridge in Texas.  I moved to Houston in 2007 and have yet to be able to get up a game.  I have two other players ready to go but we can't play the game until we find a fourth.  I've asked many, many people.  The responses I get range from, "Is that like hearts?" to "My mother plays with a group at her nursing home."  I guess it's time to go to the senior center.  Because middle aged people in Texas play a lot of poker and pokeno, but not much bridge.

I learned to play bridge close to 20 years ago with a group of women.  Our teachers were patient and kind as this is a complicated game to learn.  There are so many nuances and rules.  Once you get the basics and establish your etiquette you can play anywhere - as long as you can find 4 players.  I'm not a particularly skilled player.  In fact my bridge friends have called my playing "kamikaze style."  I love to take risks with mediocre hands and either win the round or go down in flames. I highly recommend that anyone wanting to learn the game needs to purchase The New Bridge Complete by
Charles H. Goren.  It was and still is essential in my bridge education.

My bridge group in Virginia is comprised of some of my favorite people.   Eight of us met twice a month, rotating between members houses.  The evening was full of fun, fellowship and food.  My 3 favorite things. But now I'm only a substitute member.  Whenever I'm in town I make sure to send an email around noting my availability.  Or I schedule an "alternate bridge" night with a table of 4.  I love the game, the chatter and the friendly competition.

My goal this year is to find that fourth and create a Texas bridge group.  Let me know if your interested. Just know I bid a short club and love to be left in no trump!

4 comments:

  1. It has been a while since I heard anyone mention playing Bridge here in Michigan. The popular game with my family and friends is Spades. I have never seen Bridge played but I would be interested to watch a game or two. Good luck forming your Texas group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I've never played that before! :-) Sounds interesting xx

    http://kinderhealthandbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea how to play bridge, but it wouldn't matter if I did, because I'm not in Houston anymore. I grew up there though. I can feel for you though, my husband keeps trying to put game nights together all the time and it seems like no one plays games anymore. Good luck getting your 4th player!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great game you should all learn it!

    ReplyDelete