Saturday, August 2, 2014

The beach is my porch

Coffee in my bunny mug, a fresh baked scone from
the farmers' market on a sunny morning.
This has been a summer filled with tasks. The days have been filled with moving trucks, clearing out storage spaces, a yard sale, donating furnishings, household repairs, and lots of gardening.  When I woke up yesterday I was a little sad when realized it was August 1st.  Not just because my summer was quickly coming to an end, but because I haven't had the chance to stick even one toe in the ocean.  So instead of breezes by the shore I'm going to enjoy taking mini breaks in and around my home.

I love my house in Fredericksburg.  It's long over due for a good painting, needs the foundation fixed, requires some rewiring and new plumbing, but it's one of my favorite places to be. No matter how long I leave it alone it welcomes me home.  Sometimes it's not so welcoming with a flooded basement or broken pipes, but I'm always calmer when I'm here. Kind of the way I feel when my toes are in the ocean.

Last night my good friend Cheryl came over for a quiet evening of journalling on my porch. She'd asked me to teach her my method so I pulled out supplies, plugged in the party lights and we began to create.  I didn't stop to take any pictures because we were too absorbed in our art and a superb conversation.  By the time she went home I felt the wonderful calm which comes over me whenever I create art. Especially when it happens on my porch.
My quiet space indoors

So, while I miss not having a beach vacation this year, I do feel rejuvenated and ready to tackle the fall.  It will be our last year in Texas and my husband  is counting down the days until his retirement.  We're both looking forward to being back in our sweet, although a bit rundown, house.  And then we'll take a long overdue trip to the beach.

a little garden cleanup




journal page 8/1/14

No comments:

Post a Comment