Thursday, October 30, 2014

Building Texture

I'm going to use two different types of texture in this painting, actual and simulated. I'll be adding simulated texture toward the end of the painting process. 
But today I'm creating actual texture.

 To build up the surface in the area where the sand dunes and grasses are I spread a thick coat of gel medium.  I then took a tile scraper and "combed" through the medium creating lines going in multiple directions.  To develop another variation in the surface I used a paper towel.  Gel medium is clear so when it dries the under painting will show through.




Because this painting is about early morning I've begun to soften the colors in the foreground.  I've done this by replacing the bolder greens, yellows and oranges with duller versions of them. These lower intensities were created by mixing each hue with some of the color opposite on the color wheel (the complement). I also added some white to brighten some areas where there will be only sand.

I  redrew the boardwalk  and will continue working on the dunes after the paint dries.

No comments:

Post a Comment