Monday, June 16, 2014

Traveling Art Sparks



I'm leaving tomorrow for my summer trip back to my hometown,  Fredericksburg, VA.  It's a long drive with lots of stops along the way.  Once I get there I have a full agenda with trips to Maryland, Washington, D.C., North Carolina, South Carolina, in addition to several cities in Virginia. As I was packing up art supplies I came across about 50 artist trading cards I'd created during workshops I taught. Some were complete, some were in need of a few details and others were barely begun. So I took a break from packing and began to finish these little gems. And then it hit me - why not leave these little pieces of art all along my journey?

I was recently introduced to the concept of abandoning art.  I don't mean giving up the creation or enjoyment of art.  Instead it's the practice of creating small pieces and leaving them for someone to find. A gift of art left for a complete stanger.  These art abandoments are happening all over the place and the movement seems to be growing.Starting tomorrow I'll begin to leave my Art Sparks for stangers to find. Some will ignore them, some will trash them, but hopefully some will treasure them.

I'll post Art Spark drops on my blog, Twitter and Facebook.  Serendipity will connect my art with other people and I look forward to getting feedback.




2 comments:

  1. Someone left two small framed paintings on my doorstep a few months--"abandoned" with a note. What a lovely idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it' such a fabulous movement!

    ReplyDelete