Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My Sister's Shoes

My sister is my hero.  Her name is Janis and while she doesn't strut around in a Wonder Woman costume she is the strongest woman I know.  She takes what life throws at her, dodges some stuff, but gets hit in the face quite often.  She's pretty quiet about her super powers, but her stealth actions give her the element of surprise.  When she get's knocked down she just gets up again, sometimes laughing.  Because Janis knows that all superheros have to have a little kryptonite thrown at them to show their strength.
When I was a kid heroes were people who showed great strength, even in adversity. They were kind, honest and compassionate.  Some of them were cartoon characters like Mighty Mouse and others were real people like Martin Luther King. But the commonality was strength and courage.


"My Sister's Shoes"       


I've painted portraits of lots of people in my life.  My favorite one is of my sister when she was a little girl.  She's my older sister and I always looked up to her.  Most of all I looked forward to the day when I could wear her hand-me-downs. Especially her black, patent-leather Mary Janes. To me those shoes are now a symbol of strength and perseverance.  I think they'd be a perfect replacement for Wonder Woman's boots.





Create your own super hero:

  1. Make a list of people you admire.  Some you know, some you don't.
  2. Create a list of the characteristics that make them hero material
  3. Now pull out some pens, scissors, magazines  and glue and create your own action figure.  
  4. Or transform a photo of a person you know into a super hero. It'd be fun to share that picture with them!  Could make you a hero in their eyes.



3 comments:

  1. Thx karen! My super hero.... umnmmmm. I'm working on that one. Right now it's my faith, in human form it's definitely female! Stay tuned. ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx karen! My super hero.... umnmmmm. I'm working on that one. Right now it's my faith, in human form it's definitely female! Stay tuned. ...

    ReplyDelete