Monday, July 1, 2013

When In Doubt, Begin Again.


"No matter where you go, there you are."                   
                                        -Confucious


Every action, choice, decision and mistake has brought me to exactly where I am today.  I'm beginning, again.  I've started and stopped so many times.  I've taken many wrong turns.  I've let roadblocks and detours change my course.  This time I'm going to use a new compass and map.

Like most human beings I want it all and I want it NOW! That attitude hasn't served me well.  I've been rushing along frantically trying to get to my goals, ignoring the journey.  This time I'm going to be more patient.

The doorway in this picture is the one to my back porch.  Also known by my friends and family as The Porch, this is the place where I go to think, share, create, laugh, cry and renew.   When I sit on the old furniture and reflect about current or past events in my life I find comfort here.  My friend and Dare to Create a Better Life business partner, Hobby Parent, and I have spent many planning sessions on this porch.  It's not just a place for solice, but also a place to spark ideas.  The Porch is a patient place and it seems to know that no matter where I go I will always return.

As an art teacher I constantly tell my students to enjoy the process of painting, the product should be the last thing on your mind.  I encourage them to allow creativity and intuition to be their guide. I give them structure and techniques, but try to inspire them to enjoy the journey.  I give them a map and compass with an open destination.  When they complete their work we celebrate the destination and praise the accomplishment! Then we begin the process again.

So now's the time for me to do I as I say, not as I do.  I'm going to enjoy the journey, experience the detours, go around roadblocks, continue to repoint my compass and celebrate arriving at a destination.


 "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." 
                                                                                                                                                          -Confucious

4 comments:

  1. Happy to be on this journey with you, Karen. Love that painting! ~Hobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Thank you for the encouragement. I can relate!! I love the beach scene in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What a long strange trip it's been...."

    ReplyDelete