Thursday, May 8, 2014

Creating a page

May Journal Project -  Day 8

Today I'll go through my process for recycling a page in a journal.

1. This page is dated 5/01 and has notes from a class I was taking.  I added a piece of watercolor paper with some washi tape I'd found on the sale shelf at Michael's.  Before I covered this up I copied the notes- they're very useful and at the bottom of this post.

2.  I gathered basic supplies:  watercolors, brushes, permanent markers, scissors, glue stick and magazine cut outs.  Before I recycle any magazine I go through it and clip words or images I find inspiring or interesting.


3. With a large brush I covered the pages with random colors.  This gives me an interesting background to work on.  Let dry.

4. I decided to keep some of the words and definitions so I went over them with a permanent marker.

5.  After reflecting about the words I'd written I collected magazine images and phrases.  I chose the eyeballs because one of the definitions included the phrase ". . . in the viewer's eye."  The other images and words reflected the creative theme of my journal.
5.  Using a black (almost dried up) permanent marker I started doodling a half circle turning it into a sun (Bright Ideas).
6.  I then reinforce the positive and negative spaces with blues and yellows.  I removed the bottom border - it just wasn't working for me.


"The Art Tips"                   MJP Day 8
7.  I added a strip of translucent key tape because it reminded me of the importance of the Principles of Design.  I doodled some more with the black marker and an orange highlighter.  Then I added some accents with gold and silver gel pens.  I tried to use a paint maker but it broke, randomly splattering drops of silver on and around the painting girl. I love serendipity!  To add a little more unity I drew a few more peace signs.







*********************************************************************************
Notes under the art:
Eight Universal Principles of Design
Unity - every element is connected to the whole

  1. Conflict - creates excitement
  2. Repetition - recurring theme
  3. Alternation - repetition with variety
  4. Dominance - create a focus
  5. Balance - even distribution of the elements
  6. Gradation - gradual changes in successive stages
  7. Harmony - congruent arrangement of parts-tranquility of the elements.
Elements or "tools" of design:
Line, Color, Value, Texture, Size, Space, Shape and Rhythm 

Composition - Arrangement, organization or gathering of diverse elements into a unified whole.  The viewer's eye goes to wherever the area of greatest contrast.


No comments:

Post a Comment